The election of Ann Henderson as chair of the equalities sub-committee within Labour’s national executive committee today has sparked a row among party activists over transphobia.Commenting on the annual general meeting result, LGBT Labour released a statement this afternoon, which read: “We are appalled by the election of Ann Henderson to the chair of the Labour Party NEC equalities sub-committee given her history of sharing material that has been described as transphobic.“This is not only a kick in the teeth to the trans community, but to every single Labour activist who is dedicated to our values of equality, justice and liberation. The equalities committee must reconsider their decision and begin to rebuild trust with the trans community.”After winning the equalities sub-committee election by 12 votes to eight, Henderson has now replaced Unison’s Keith Birch as chair. According to LGBT Labour, concerns were raised during the meeting but general secretary Jennie Formby said they should be “disregarded”.A Labour Party source said: “Every year the committee elects a chair, who facilitates discussions but doesn’t vote. As the rector of Edinburgh University, former assistant secretary in the Scottish Trades Union Congress, and a lifelong equalities and women’s rights activist, Ann brings a wealth of experience to the role.”Henderson was elected for the first time as a local party representative on the NEC in September, having received the support of left-wing groups Momentum and Campaign for Labour Party Democracy (CLPD) during the campaign.Her views on trans issues have come under scrutiny in the past, particularly over the summer when Labour and trans rights activist Lily Madigan pointed out that the then-candidate followed Women’s Place UK on Twitter.Women’s Place UK, in conjunction with Fair Play for Women and Transgender Trend, held an event last year called ‘How will changes to the Gender Recognition Act affect women’s rights?’. The details of this meeting were publicised by Henderson in a retweet, which provoked the controversy.Madigan described the organisation as an “anti-trans hate group” because it has offered a platform to women opposed to new gender identity legislation. Woman’s Place UK says it is “not a transphobic organisation” and told LabourList: “The labour movement needs to assert women’s rights to organise as well as doing more to facilitate debate”.At Labour conference last year, LabourList invited Henderson – one of Scotland’s first female train drivers and a longtime women’s rights campaigner – to speak as part of a panel entitled ‘A Woman’s Place is in her Trade Union’, during which she raised the importance of trans rights in the workplace.But Henderson has been known to voice criticisms of Labour’s trans inclusion policy at previous NEC meetings.The same Labour NEC meeting on Tuesday 22nd January saw Diane Abbott, Shadow Home Secretary, replace Kate Osamor – who resigned from her shadow cabinet post last month – as a frontbench representative on the body.Ann Henderson has been contacted for comment.Tags:NEC /Labour /LGBT Labour /Gender Recognition Act / Ann Henderson /Women’s Place UK /
Tags: Business • food Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% The Durans served their first burrito on September 29, 1969, and transitioned from a meat market to taqueria in 1972. If you visit La Cumbre today, you will see the words “Birthplace of the Mission Style Burrito” emblazoned in white lettering on a red wall. However, there is debate as to whether La Cumbre is the originator of the Mission Style Burrito, or if the honor goes to competitor El Faro, who claims to have served their first burrito on September 26, 1961. Regardless of who created the SF burrito first, La Cumbre was at the forefront of the burrito phenomenon. Edward recalls a young Jorge Santana, musician and brother of Carlos Santana, hand making flour tortillas in the late 1960s and early 1970s, since they weren’t available at the time. The Durans struck up relationships with family farms, relationships that have stood the test of time, guaranteeing a farm to table setting that would set La Cumbre apart from other taquerias, according to Edward. “Those are connections that have come about 50 years, working with the same families and same groups.” Journalists at publications such as Rolling Stone, The Village Voice, and The Wall Street Journal began to pick up on the taqueria’s buzz, helping make La Cumbre a success. Some of this success stems from the fact that this taqueria grills–not griddles– their chicken, in a honey glaze. “We grill our chicken, all the other taquerias griddle their chicken, like a hamburger, in the fat,” said Duran. “We kind of deviated from that, and we prefer a more healthy approach, and that’s why we have our grill. One, it’s healthier. Two, it tastes better.” In fact, Duran claims that the chicken burrito is probably its most popular, with fans including Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom and wife Jennifer, and former Giants slugger Barry Bonds. La Cumbre opened a second location in San Mateo in 1992. Located in an area surrounded by doctor’s offices, Duran notes that doctors have advised patients needing to lose weight to eat their burritos – one on a whole wheat or tomato tortilla that is also vegetarian with whole beans, rice and salsa – no extra sour cream or extra guacamole. “It’s something we are proud of,” Duran said. “In an age where people pop pills for health issues,” he said, a wise choice in diet would be the food that has worked for three or four generations back in Mexico, containing healing turmeric, capsaicin from chiles, cilantro, and anti-carcinogens.Probably the greatest feat La Cumbre has achieved is managing to stay open in such a turbulently changing time in The Mission. Multikulti, just a few stores down, was forced to close after 16 years in business due to rent hikes, and several other Valencia locales have had to move or close as well.“We have not only lost the neighbors, we lost friends,” said Duran. However, he adds that “you can’t complain about things you can’t change. You can, but who’s gonna hear you and who’ll care? So all you can really do is try to embrace the change and hope that the changes, however they come, will embrace you too.”While Duran said there is less foot traffic since less people are both living and working in the area, and many who do live in The Mission don’t want to go out and eat after work, he has embraced the change by selling food to Bon Appétit, Google’s café, and campus caterers that supply food to tech workers.“So in that regard,” Duran admits, “it’s been a wonderful addition, because we have been able to sell a lot of food that way. That’s really been the influence or the effect high tech has had on us.” Appearances on TV shows such as Man vs Food, Food Paradise and a visit by Anthony Bourdain also continue to help push La Cumbre towards 50 more years in The Mission. Taqueria La Cumbre, one of the pioneers of the Mission-style burrito, is celebrating 50 years of making burritos in the Mission. Mission Local recently spoke to owner Edward Duran on everything from the inspiration for their first burritos to doing business in an ever-changing Mission District.La Cumbre’s story began in 1967, when Mexican immigrants Raul and Michaela Duran opened a meat market at 515 Valencia Street, the site of a former vaudeville theater built in 1908. Seeing that blue collar workers needed a substantial yet portable meal, the Durans created what is now known as the Mission burrito– served assembly-line style with rice, beans, meat, cheese, and vegetables, and wrapped in an oversized tortilla. “Back in the ‘70s and ‘60s, people worked a long day with no break,” said Duran’s son and current owner Edward. “So you need[ed] a food you can carry with you, and that would have minimal refrigeration, and that burrito pretty much took care of all that. It was essentially a blue-collar food.” Containing elements from multiple food groups–protein, fruits, vegetables and beans, dairy and grains–the San Francisco burrito proved a balanced meal on the go. 0%
ST HELENS Service Area are providing seven out of the twelve contestants in the North West Counties Finals at Parkside Golbourne this weekend.Steve Leonard, St Helens Service Area coordinator, says: “I cannot speak highly enough of the St Helens Rugby League community who have worked tirelessly in raising the bar for the sport. We have shown as a Community that by working together as partners alongside the RFL and the professional Club that we can collectively improve year on year.“The Coaches and players’ commitment has been tremendous and alongside our army of volunteers we have continued to make St Helens the number one place for children to play Rugby League.“I ask that as many of our Rugby League fans go out to support all our clubs competing in the finals this week end. I would like to wish all our teams the best of luck in the finals and hope you all enjoy the day at Parkside Golborne.”The finals with St Helens involvement are: Saturday 16th April – North West Counties Development Cup Final U13’s Newton Storm V Thatto Heath @ 12.00 noonSunday 27th April – North West Counties Cup Finals U13’s Clock Face v Haresfinch @ 12.00 noonU14’s Blackbrook V St Pats @ 2.00pmU15’s Bold Miners v Clock face @ 4.00pm
SAINTS eased into the Fifth Round of the Challenge Cup with a comfortable 52-26 win over Sheffield Eagles – but they were pushed by a spirited Eagles side that will always be in the fans’ hearts after their 1998 Wembley triumph over Wigan.Tries from Jamie Foster, Sia Soliola, Francis Meli and Michael Shenton gave them a 22-6 half time lead before Meli added another early in the second.Further tries from Jon Wilkin, Foster’s second and Kyle Eastmond secured their passage before Quentin Laulu-Togage added a hat-trick late on for the Eagles.Royce Simmons made two changes from the side that drew with Hull FC on Monday.Nathan Ashe made his full debut at full back whilst Chris Flannery came into the second row after recovering from a hamstring injury.Josh Perry starting at prop.Saints went ahead first through Jamie Foster after his teammates capitalised on an Eagles error and fed the ball left.He then converted off the touchline.On 11 minutes a massive high kick from Kyle Eastmond was knocked on but on the subsequent set of six Saints couldn’t find a way through.But the pressure was always building and after another error from Sheffield, Sia Soliola showed all his strength to stretch the lead.Francis Meli added Saints’ third after a fine James Roby break but Sheffield hit back with a fine try started in their own half.Quentin Laulu-Togage made the initial break and when it was fed left it bounced off a Saints’ player and Alex Szostak took advantage.Simon Brown adding the extras.But Saints hit back through Michael Shenton to go in 22-6 at half time.Half Time: Saints 22 Sheffield 6Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook inspired Saints’ first try of the second half – scampering through the middle to allow Francis Meli to get his second.Jon Wilkin then received an absolute gift of an interception no less than two yards from the Sheffield line.And Andrew Dixon and Francis Meli then combined for Jamie to grab his second.On 53 minutes Sheffield added some more respectability to the scoreline with Szostak’s second, but Jon Wilkin’s break saw Kyle Eastmond cross restore the advantage.Sheffield scored a consolation through Quentin Laulu-Togage as the clock hit ten to go.And that man added another with less than five minutes to go – and then got his hat-trick seconds later.Chris Flannery bringing the 50 up as the hooter went.Match Summary:Saints:Tries: Foster (2), Soliola, Meli (2), Shenton, Wilkin, Eastmond, FlanneryGoals: Foster (8 from 9)Sheffield:Tries: Szostak (2), Laulu-Togage (3)Goals: Brown (3 from 5)Penalties:Saints: 5Sheffield: 1HT: 22-6FT: 52-26REF: Ben ThalerATT: 3563Teams:Saints:27. Nathan Ashe; 2. Ade Gardner, 3. Michael Shenton, 5. Francis Meli, 22. Jamie Foster; 12. Jon Wilkin, 7. Kyle Eastmond; 10. James Graham, 9. James Roby, 8. Josh Perry, 4. Sia Soliola, 13. Chris Flannery, 21. Shaun Magennis.Subs: 15. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 18. Matty Ashurst, 19. Andrew Dixon, 24. Tom Armstrong.Sheffield:6. Quentin Laulu-Togage; 2. Danny Mills, 3. Menzie Yere, 26. Corey Hanson, 5. Tim Bergin; 13. Dane McDonald, 7. Simon Brown; 8. Jack Howieson, 9. Andrew Henderson, 10. Mitchell Stringer, 11. Alex Szostak, 12. Peter Green, 19. Joe Hirst.Subs: 17. Alex Rowe, 22. Ryan Hepworth, 27. Eddie Battye, 30. Sam Scott.
PAUL Wellens has praised Saints’ loyal supporters after they backed their favourites to a fifth win in a row.The Club Captain was impressed with how many fans travelled over to Wakefield and Catalan as well as those who made Langtree Park light up in the last two matches.“We’re entering a crucial part of the season and to have as many fans like that on Sunday behind us, is superb,” he said. “We have done it tough at times during the season but we are starting to put a run together and want to end the season on a high.“The noise at Wakefield was superb and certainly contributed to the win. I have no doubt it will be the same when we face Warrington next week.“Games against the Wolves are always big occasions and we are looking forward to the test.”Saints and Warrington are currently level in their Super League series and game three is at Langtree Park next Friday.Tickets are now on sale from the Ticket Office at Langtree Park, by calling 01744 455 052 or by logging on here.
Thursday January 31 (7.45pm) will see the two biggest clubs in the game face-off to launch the 2019 Betfred Super League season, with so much at stake, both sides will want to start their season off on the front foot.For Saints, new star signings Lachlan Coote, Kevin Naiqama and Joseph Paulo are also set to feature alongside the World’s Best Prop Luke Thompson and Golden Boot Winner – and World’s Best Winger – Tommy Makinson.Tickets start from just £23 for adults and £10 for under 16s, they can be bought by calling into the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, telephoning 01744 455 052 or online here.,Thursday January 31 (7.45pm) will see the two biggest clubs in the game face-off to launch the 2019 Betfred Super League season, with so much at stake, both sides will want to start their season off on the front foot.For Saints, new star signings Lachlan Coote, Kevin Naiqama and Joseph Paulo are also set to feature alongside the World’s Best Prop Luke Thompson and Golden Boot Winner – and World’s Best Winger – Tommy Makinson.Tickets start from just £23 for adults and £10 for under 16s, they can be bought by calling into the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, telephoning 01744 455 052 or online here.,Thursday January 31 (7.45pm) will see the two biggest clubs in the game face-off to launch the 2019 Betfred Super League season, with so much at stake, both sides will want to start their season off on the front foot.For Saints, new star signings Lachlan Coote, Kevin Naiqama and Joseph Paulo are also set to feature alongside the World’s Best Prop Luke Thompson and Golden Boot Winner – and World’s Best Winger – Tommy Makinson.Tickets start from just £23 for adults and £10 for under 16s, they can be bought by calling into the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, telephoning 01744 455 052 or online here.
Mugshot Logan Ritchie(Photo: NHSO) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Police arrested Logan Ritchie Friday night around 8:40 p.m. in the 1300 block of Elements Way in Wilmington.Ritchie was arrested for three warrants for breaking and entering into a motor vehicle and unauthorized use of motor vehicle.Magistrate Jeffrey Ryan issued Ritchie a $10,000 unsecured bond, who was already out on a $125,000 secured bond.Ritchie has since been released from New Hanover County Jail.Ritchie is a suspect in numerous home, business and motor vehicle burglaries. WPD is asking the public to be on heightened alert for him.
Bladen Co. farmer donates watermelons to Soup Kitchen. (Photo: Good Shepherd Center/Twitter) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — How sweet is this! The Good Shepherd Center in Wilmington received a big donation from a Bladen County farmer Tuesday.The center, who provides food and housing to those in need, posted on social media of “these Bladen County beauties”, six large watermelons.- Advertisement – The post says a farmer donated 230 pounds of watermelon to their Soup Kitchen, which will be served in lunches and dinner this week.
If they qualify for the program, they can get loans with lower interest rates and can avoid paying private mortgage insurance.“It really helped me,” said Wilmington resident Jennifer Bivins. “It created an opportunity for me that I probably wouldn’t have had.”Bivins, a school teacher and single mother, says while the program was extremely helpful, it took her a while to find a house that met the HOP guidelines.Related Article: Whiteville City Council tours new City Hall building“I haven’t seen a home like within the price range that I found since I bought the house,” Bivins said. “I think I put an offer on like seven houses before I found the one.”Community Development Analyst Dana Blanks says as home prices continue to increase, HOP is having a harder time providing people with loans.“Generally we do somewhere between, I would say anywhere between 15 to 20 or 25 loans a year, and last year we were only able to do seven. Because the housing prices have risen,” said Blanks.For example, a two-bedroom house on Wrightsville Avenue built in 1917 is currently listed on Zillow for just under $150,000. While the listing boasts plenty of renovations, it can be hard to find something big enough for a family under the HOP program’s $185,000 cap.City council voted Tuesday night to revise the program to account for the current average home price in New Hanover County of $338,000.“Part of it is doing 50 percent at interest, and then 50 percent at no interest, will allow our buyers to afford a little bit more,” said Blanks.City council also voted to approve changes to the city’s Rental Rehabilitation Incentive Loan Program, which provides loans to developers, investors, or anyone who can build or rehabilitate existing vacant units to create more affordable housing.The revisions to that program improve incentives for developers. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington City Council says affordable housing is one of their top priorities and they addressed it at City Hall Tuesday night.HOP, or Home Ownership Pool program, helps moderate and low-income households purchase homes they normally wouldn’t be able to afford.- Advertisement –
You can buy from local artisans, enjoy a meal at the food trucks, and grab a mimosa or bloody mary while you shop!Brooklyn Arts Center Executive Director Rich Leder says this is going to be a great weekend.The show costs $5 per person, kids age 12 and under are free.Related Article: Dollar Tree to close up to 390 Family Dollar storesMore information here. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Shop local at the Made in NC 2019 show at the Brooklyn Arts Center March 9 and 10.Shop Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday Noon to 5 p.m.- Advertisement –