Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
KEYWORDS After winning the first set, the Americans, last year’s world champions, regrouped and used their height and power to full effect.“I’m very disappointed; the second set was particularly decisive,” Japan coach Masayoshi Manabe said. “We’d be on the back foot once the U.S. leads with fast, strong serves and we can’t win without taking the initiative.“We get blocked a lot when we lose so we need to cut down on that.”China and Serbia top the table, with 9-1 records, although China leads with 27 points. The U.S. and Russia each has an 8-2 record.Japan will now seek to earn its ticket to Rio in next year’s final Olympic and Asian qualifying tournament. RELATED PHOTOS Japan’s Sarina Koga spikes the ball past Foluke Akinradewo (left) and Karsta Lowe of the United States during Saturday’s FIVB Women’s World Cup match in Nagoya. The United States defeated Japan 20-25, 25-23, 25-20, 25-10. | KYODO IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 Masayoshi Manabe, 2016 Rio Olympics, FIVB Women’s World Cup GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES NAGOYA – Japan’s women lost its FIVB Women’s World Cup match against the United States on Saturday, leaving the host nation out of the running for one of the two Olympic berths on offer.Japan’s four-set loss (20-25, 25-23, 25-20, 25-10) left it with a 7-3 record and in fifth place in the 12-nation tournament with no chance of breaking into the top two, who will receive berths to next year’s Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
See also:FA Cup triumph was a career highlight, says ConteSarri hints he is leaving NapoliCahill calls for Conte’s future to be resolvedCriticism of Cahill has been unfair – SinclairChelsea youngster Mount trains with England squadNevin: Another loan move might be best for Loftus-Cheek Embed from Getty Images Chelsea’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek has said he wished he had gone on loan earlier in his career.The 22-year-old, who has been included in England’s 23-man World Cup squad for Russia, impressed while on loan at Crystal Palace last season – his first loan move away from Stamford Bridge.He made his debut for Chelsea as an 18-year-old in December 2014 and has played a total of 32 games for the Blues, but just 13 of those have been starts.AdChoices广告“I was at Chelsea for a while and progressed quite quickly until I got to the first team and then it was different,” Loftus-Cheek said.“When I got to that 17, 18 stage, I was just thinking about playing for the first team on a Saturday and being in the first team, rather than going out to play somewhere else on loan.“But looking back now, I do realise the benefits of playing game after game after game after game, so in that sense I wish I had played more games.“It is difficult when you are not playing to still train your best, still eat right and do all the right things because there is no reward at the end of the week.“That is the toughest thing mentally when you are not playing, but it definitely pays off in the future.”Loftus-Cheek scored twice in 25 appearances for the Eagles and played a big role as the club avoided relegation from the Premier League.He cpuld return and fight for a regular place at Chelsea next season but there is also the possibility of another season away on loan.Loftus-Cheek admitted it was a massive ask to make the jump from youth football to the Chelsea first team.“There are world-class players in front of you and that step up is difficult at a big club like Chelsea, no matter how talented you are,” he added.“Experience plays a big role as well, at the top level. I understand why it is difficult.” Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Paul Jewell 1 Oldham’s assistant manager Paul Jewell has quit after just over a month in his role with the Sky Bet League One club.Former Wigan and Bradford boss Jewell, 53, was appointed as Latics manager Richie Wellens’ assistant at the end of November.“Oldham Athletic can confirm that Paul Jewell has resigned from his role as assistant manager,” the club announced on their official website.“The club and manager Richie Wellens would like to thank him for his contributions during his time at SportsDirect.com Park.”Jewell, who guided both Wigan and Bradford to promotion to the Premier League, had been out of management since 2012, when he left Ipswich by mutual consent, before taking on the role at Oldham.Wellens was appointed Latics boss in September following the sacking of John Sheridan and initially steered them away from relegation trouble.However, they have slipped back down to 20th in the table after failing to win any of their last five league matches.