January 6

Long-term Liverpool target agrees Porto switch

first_img1 Cristian Tello in training with Barcelona Long-term Liverpool target Cristian Tello has joined Porto on a two-season loan deal, Barcelona have confirmed.Porto have paid the Catalan giants a fee, believed to be around £1.6m, and will have the option to sign him outright for £6.5m, although Barcelona will be able to cancel that clause after the end of his first season in Portugal.The winger will be reunited with his former Spain Under-21 manager Julen Lopetegui, who is now in charge of the Portuguese titans.The 22-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool during the January transfer window, and he has previously attracted interest from Arsenal.last_img

December 26

CORONER QUESTIONS SAFETY OF MOBILE HOMES AFTER DEATH OF MAN IN HORROR BLAZE

first_imgA coroner has questioned the materials being used to make hundreds of mobile homes being used across Donegal after a man burned to death in a horrific fire.Coroner John Canon made his comments after the tragic death of a young Goath Dobhair man in a mobile home blaze.Columba Doherty, 29, could only be identified from his dental records and his watch after a fire swept through his mobile home at Brinalack on January 31st, 2008. Relatives and friends of the dead man were shocked when they arrived at the scene of the fire to discover a burned out shell at what had been a well-kept mobile home.Coroner Canon said he could hardly believe that any building had stood in the place was the smouldering remains of the victim’s home was discovered.He said “My main concern is what materials these homes are made of. It seems on this occasion that there is little indication that there was a caravan there at all apart from the concrete foundation.“It seems that the materials used are very flammable and this mobile home went up like a tinderbox. The intensity of the heat must have been huge.“It seems like these homes offer very little protection in the case of a sudden fire,” he said.Mr Doherty had been at a 21st birthday party and had gone on to the Seaview Nightclub before returning home at around 5am.However, only the shell of the mobile home belonging to the handyman was found the next morning at 7.30am after it had burned to the ground.An inquest into Mr Doherty’s death at Letterkenny Coroner’s Court heard how it was likely that the blazed was caused by a cigarette which had fallen onto bedclothes.Pathologist Dr.Gerry O’Rourke said death was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning brought on by smoke inhalation as a result of a fire.“If he had been sleeping it meant that he would have simply gone into a deeper sleep-like state when the fire broke out,” said Dr.O’Rourke.Garda Forensic Crime Scene Investigator John Harkin said there was only a shell left of the mobile home.He said the majority of the mobile home would have been made from aluminium and timber as well as some form of insulation.“Because there was no concrete on the internal walls, the fire would have spread very quickly,” he admitted.Coroner John Canon said he did not mind if the ten person jury added ‘a ryder’ to their verdict making suggestions on the materials used to make mobile homes.The jury returned a unanimous verdict of accidental death in accordance with the findings of pathologist Dr Gerry O’Rourke.EndsCORONER QUESTIONS SAFETY OF MOBILE HOMES AFTER DEATH OF MAN IN HORROR BLAZE was last modified: March 31st, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more